An amazing town, Ann Arbor.
- Small enough to see five friends on the way to the Farmers’ Market.
- Big enough to host world-renowned folks at the University of Michigan.
- La-di-da enough for mansions and ooh-la-la restaurants.
- Gritty enough for student slums and spray-paint graffiti.
- Funky enough for the Hash Bash and the Art Fairs.
- Suburban enough for PTOs, soccer moms and dads, and minivans—many of them hybrid, of course.
If you’re new to the city, know these things:
- Yes, we *are* liberal. And progressive. And proud of it.
- Yes, we *do* wear Birks. Brazenly.
- Yes, we care about being green.
- Yes, we love diversity—in many flavors.
- Yes, we’re smart. More people here have graduate degrees than undergrad.
- Something’s happening every day and night. See the calendars at right.
- Don’t plan on going anywhere on football Saturdays. Except during the game.
- No, we’re not snobby. We’re deep in thought.
Night Spots monthly calendar of bands playing in Ann Arbor
Urban Fairies website
“Fairy Doors and Wanderlust”
Here’s how you learn how to negotiate Ann Arbor’s one-way streets without a map or GPS: just head in the direction where the place is. Eventually, you’ll get there—and you’ll learn the streets on the way.
After 6 p.m., it’s free.
Reduce / Reuse / Recycle / Resources
Odd Green Fridays: Trillium’s blog and enewsletter about living and building green
ReUse Center: A gazillion great recycled things, including housewares, tools, furniture, artwork, appliances. You gotta go. You can donate your junk, too.
Slap on a saddle and ride into the many organizations Ann Arbor hosts, from the Ann Arbor Observer’s City Guide.
Be sure to see our Way Cool Communities section.